Saturday, July 23, 2011

Comic Con Haul 2011



You question how the contents of the picture possibly could have come from the Comic Con? Well, when we were buying tickets, I gave my Saturday spot to a friend who joined our crew for the day (long story of how their stupid server would only allow you to buy 4 tickets; if you care, then you already know the sorted details). The "con" is an animal unto itself; I was glad to have the day away to go on my own San Diego Yarn Store Crawl.
Wanna hear what all I got? (Clockwise, using the blue yarn at the top as 12 am):
1. Baah! La Jolla Original Handpaint, A Nancy's Notions Doo Dad box, a crossstich bookmark (for Alexander); purchased from the Needlecraft Cottage
2. Scarves, a fun cardigan, and potential small project bag; purchased from the Pink Zone (on the way to the next store)
3. The Wonderful Wallaby pattern by Carol Anderson; purchased from Knitting in La Jolla
4. Alchemy Yarns Silken Straw; purchased from Common Threads
5. LLH Safari, yarn ball point protectors, and Jacquard fabric paints (payment/thank you to my mom for babysitting); purchased from The Black Sheep (GREAT parking and enjoyed the Comic con connection moment)
6. (more) Baah! La Jolla Original Handpaint, Knit Picks Straight US 8 (felt ok buying these from an LYS), and Barb's Koigu Ruffle, a Churchmouse Classics pattern (for which I am likely to use the red Baah!); purchased at Yarning for You
7. Oink Pigment Fingering "Sunny with a Chance of Peaches" and bright coral/orange Lacey Lamb; purchased at Two Sisters and Ewe
8. some gorgeous frosted pink beads (to be used with the Silken Straw in another Isobel) and really cool silver pinky ring with a plait running around the band; purhcased at The Bouncing Bead (next door to Two Sisters and Ewe)

This day was a fantastic day with 3 mini cupcakes and iced coffee for lunch (@ Cups after store 3 and before my 1 hr parking expired). All the stores had their strengths. It is always interesting visiting other stores than your home store; I am seeking an analogy and the best that I can come up with is like your first visit to a new potential friend's home and seeing if you could really hang out. If I had to choose a favorite, it popped up at the end of the day when I visited Yarning for Ewe. I knew that it was going to be a good experience when I saw the sign in the window reading, "P.M.A., Positive Motivational Attitude practiced here." (I am pretty sure that I remembered that correctly.) We had an "it's a small world" moment when they connected me to a beloved customer that is moving to our neck of the woods that I have already had the pleasure of meeting. I felt the same way that I hope she felt when she first visited Anacapa, like I could sit down and be fast friends with all of the lovely knitters at the table (and, if Bella had been nap-able, then I would have). They had Bella modeling adorable baby hat samples and she was in hog heaven with all the cheers and attention. Such a great day; yarn people are the best people.

A close second is Two Sisters and Ewe where Annie let me squeeze in just near closing. If I had been there earlier in the day, then you would also be seeing a sweater size pile of The Fibre Co. Canopy Worsted which they have on sale for 4o% off.

Best part of Comic Con so far!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails