Saturday, November 18, 2006

The boy in the red hat














This boy is gonna break hearts (hypotheticaly, I'll hope to teach him how to let 'em down easy.)




I made this hat from a stashed ball of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk that was originally meant to be a scarf for my sister, but then I remembered that she is sensetive to wools (even though I have heard that Alpaca is hypoallergenic, I have also met those who still have itchy trouble with the glorious fiber). I made the pattern up from a alternating rib and cable found in The Knit Stitch Bible. I happily cast on thinking that one 65m ball would be plenty for a hat. Ah, the bliss of ignorance. Luckily, I discovered the error of my plans while still at the Garden. The one ball got me to within one row of the decrease sequence. Then, I had an internal design dispuit about continuing in the same color or taking the muck up as a chance to enhance the design. Enhancing won the day. An amusing note about this yarn is that the ruby color was made in Italy and (assuming that D.B. has changed production countries) the grey was made in Peru...curious...I was thinking about naming it the globe trekker hat...yarns touched by two separate countries ending up on my needles...

At the end of hat one, I had half a ball of grey left over. The leftovers called out to be the crown of a hat for my nephew. Dancing through my head are images of these boys running amuck on Christmas day with almost matching head gear.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails